To develop a commercial page on Instagram and track the promotion results, it is very important to register a business profile, as well as to set it up correctly. This type of profile will give you access to a wider toolbar, open up new functions, and allow you to track analytical data on a regular basis. Speaking about the correct settings of the account, it is first of all about the initial filing of the profile, adding contact information, links, descriptions, e-mails, etc., as well as choosing the appropriate business categories. Here we will tell you why the last point is so important.
What is the Business Categories function?
When you switch to a business account, Instagram will ask you to choose the category of your business presented on the page. There will be hundreds of activities among the proposed options, among which you will need to choose one. Your choice will be displayed on the page immediately below the profile name. Thus, the business categories allow users to understand quickly what your page is dedicated to and take targeted action if it meets their interests.
So it is important to correctly identify the topic of your page, present the business and, accordingly, attract the target audience.
Moreover, after selecting a category, Instagram algorithms will be able to assess your field of interest more accurately and offer relevant content.
Business Categories are variable information. That is, even if you have already selected a category, you can go to settings and adjust it at any time.
List of Instagram Categories
There are more than a thousand business categories for the most accurate presentation of your activities. Here are common:
- Arts and Entertainment
- Automotive, Aircraft and Boat
- Beauty, Cosmetic and Personal Care
- Commercial and Industrial
- Food and Beverage
- Hotel and Lodging
- Local Service
- Media/News Company
- Medical and Health
- Non-Government Organization
- Nonprofit Organization
- Public and Government Services
- Real Estate
- Science, Technology and Engineering
- Shopping and Retail
- Sports and Recreation
- Travel and Transportation
- Armed Forces
- Charity Organization
- Community Service
- Country Club / Clubhouse
- Environmental Conservation Organization
- Labor Union
- Private Members Club
- Religious Organization
- Social Club
- Sorority and Fraternity
- Sports Club
- Youth Organization
- Book and Magazine
- TV and Movies
- Campus Building
- City Infrastructure
- Landmark and Historical Places
- Meeting Room
- Outdoor Recreation
- Public Toilet
- Religious Place of Worship
- Just for Fun
- Public Figure
How To Add a Business Category On Instagram?
If you are developing a commercial page and have not yet specified a business category, then you are not using all functions to promote your profile. We suggest changing this.
To add a profile category, you first need to change the page type on your Instagram business account. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Click on the menu icon in the upper right corner of the Instagram mobile application;
- Click Settings
- Click Account
- Scroll down all items and select Switch account Type.
You will be offered a Business account and a Creator account. When moving to business, you can select a category in the appropriate field.
How to switch back to a personal account on IG
If you decide to opt-out of your business profile and choose a different type of account, repeat the 4 steps above and select Personal Account.
How to change Business Category?
To change your activity category, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Edit Profile
- Select “Category” block
- Select the desired category from the list
- Click Done
An updated category will be displayed on your page.
You might find it interesting as well: How to Change Username On Instagram
Which category to choose?
Only you know the answer to this question. You need to choose the type of activity that describes your business in the best way. Note that there may be dozens of features in the list that suit you, so choose the one that works best for you.
We understand that sometimes there are contradictory cases. You can be a blogger and sell jewellery or offer several services or types of products on the page. In this case, there are two ways out:
- if you already have the support of your target audience, consult them. Ask what your profile is clearly associated with. Ask an open-ended question in stories, or rather select several categories and create a survey with answer options. The target audience is a powerful communication tool and your greatest support. You can learn a lot and get much more than just certainty in a business category.
- if you have no such support yet, you will have to decide for yourself. Think of what your profile is focused on. Remember that category is not a final resort. You can tell more about the page in the bio or pass it through the profile name. Moreover, you can always change the category.
Instagram now offers more than 1,500 categories, so look for the most accurate wording. The category Commodity Company is too broad and says little about the specifics of the page. However, you can use it if you offer a very wide range of products. Otherwise, provide the most specific categories.
How To Remove Category On Instagram
If for some reason you don’t want your page to have the specified business category, it’s easy to do.
- Go to Edit Profile. This button is just below the bio block.
- Click Profile Display
- Move the slider to the left in the line Display category label
After these simple steps, the category will no longer appear in your profile.
Use all tools to promote your page
Instagram constantly monitors user interaction, changes algorithms and offers new functions. To promote your page, we recommend that you try to use all internal tools and capabilities. And if the business category adds some points to the profile assessment, you should use this. The same goes for everything else. Instagram introduced Reels? Try posting a video. New story sticker? Use it for good. New field added? Great, fill it in. And after analyzing the results of your experiments, you will be able to refuse a particular functionality with peace of mind or, vice versa, continue to use it on a regular basis.